St. George’s Military Cemeteries, St. George’s Parish

st_georges_military_cemetery.JPG

St. George's Military Cemeteries at Grenadier Lane and Secretary Road, approximately 15 minutes walk apart, were the resting place of yellow fever victims of the 19th century, c.1850. One particularly interesting grave at Grenadier Lane is that of a surgeon. He served in the Crimean War at the battles of Balaclava and Sebastapol only to succumb to yellow fever in tranquil Bermuda. Over the hill to the west the Military Cemetery on Secretary Road has perhaps the most notable monumental sculpture of any of the Bermuda Military Cemeteries. Additionally, George Sampson, Victoria Cross holder of the Royal Naval Reserve, is interred here. Some older military graves are also included in the neighbouring Secretary Road cemeteries.

Location: Grenadier Lane and Secretary Road, North Shore, St George’s
Phone: (441) 236-6483
Bus Routes: 1, 3, 6, 10, 11
Hours of Operation: Dawn to Dusk
Admission is free

TOP