Built Heritage: Former Hospital Cottage

BUILT HERITAGE: March 2021 By Linda Abend and Margie Lloyd, Bermuda National Trust

This post is part of a series of architectural articles by the Bermuda National Trust that highlight some of Bermuda's endangered historic buildings. 

 

Citing the steady increase in the population, the lack of accommodation for those with complicated diseases and needing surgical operations, Dr Eldon Harvey spearheaded a group of his fellow physicians and community leaders and in 1886 lobbied the Governor, Lt Gen Sir Thomas Lionel Gallwey, for a cottage hospital. At the time there only existed two Royal Navy hospitals and the so-called Lunatic Asylum in Devonshire.

 

Click here to read the full article!

FOR RENT: 1.46 acres of arable land, Devonshire, Lot J3 Jubilee Road

The Bermuda National Trust is offering a rare opportunity to lease 1.46 acres of arable land in Devonshire. This land is suitable for grazing cattle and horses.
 
Before submitting a bid, please visit the site. Please drop off completed bid forms to our offices at ‘Waterville’, 2 Pomander Road, Paget, or email them to Myles Darrell at myles@bnt.bm by February, 19th, 2021.
 

Built Heritage: Wantley

BUILT HERITAGE: December 7, 2020 By Linda Abend and Margie Lloyd, Bermuda National Trust

This post is part of a series of architectural articles by the Bermuda National Trust that highlight some of Bermuda's endangered historic buildings. 

Wantley, located on Princess Street, has a rich social history and was built by prominent businessman Samuel David Robinson.  One of the founders of Berkeley Educational Society, Samuel David and five other men met in 1879 at his newly-built home to discuss the feasibility of establishing a school that would become the Berkeley Institute.  The Robinsons were influential family in the then Town of Hamilton.  Younger brother Joseph Henry Robinson built The Emporium on Front Street and lived at the elegant Finsbury on Court Street.

Click here to read the full article on Wantley 

BNT 2021 Calendars

BNT 2021 calendars are available for purchase! This calendar is filled with images of some of the most beautiful aspects of Bermuda.  Each month provides a glimpse of the diverse treasures that fills this 22 square mile paradise.  Photographed and designed by Bermuda photographers Hannah Horsfield.

Calendars cost $10 and can be purchased at Waterville, BNT Museums, Brown & Co, Bermuda Bookstore and more locations.  To purchase a calendar over the phone please call 236-6483 or email palmetto@bnt.bm.  Envelopes are available for mailing overseas.
 
Unfortunately, we have discovered that the alignment of dates for the month of July 2021 are incorrect. The corrected version for the month of July is included below and can be printed to easily replace the page you currently have.
 
If you would like to exchange your calendar, we will have limited quantities available at Waterville after Monday, January 4, 2021.  We do apologize for this oversight and any inconvenience this may have caused. Please do not hesitate to contact us at palmetto@bnt.bm if you have any questions.
 

Click here to download the updated version of July

 

 

2020 Raffle Winners

BNT Leadership Announcement

The Bermuda National Trust is pleased to announce the appointment of Andrew Vaucrosson as our new Executive Director, effective November 1.  We are also excited to welcome two more new additions to the teams - Britt Franklin Call our new Director of Development and Engagement and Randolph Joynes our new Property Manager.   Click here to read more about BNT leadership changes

A message from Amanda Outerbridge, Interim Executive Director:
 
Welcome to Andrew Vaucrosson who joins the Trust as our new Executive Director on November 1. The attached announcement, also includes news of our new Director for Development and Engagement, Britt Call, and Property Manager, Randolph Joynes. The professional skills and experience they bring to the Trust are immensely positive for our future.
 
As outgoing interim Executive Director, I'd like to wish them the very best and assure them that they are becoming part of a dynamic team. At the Trust we accomplish what we do because of your support as members, and our whole team's commitment. It's the only way we can continue to be good stewards of Bermuda's built and natural heritage, keeping it safe and accessible "for everyone forever".
 
Thank you for your support over the past months; all of us are needed to get through this together.
 
Amanda Outerbridge
 
Interim Executive Director January-October 2020
Executive Director 1993-2003

Wilkinson Quarry Objection

Wilkinson Quarry Objection | June, 10th 2020

Click the link below to read more the objection regarding the proposed demolition of an unstable mound with a subterranean void in Wilkinson Quarry, Hamilton Parish.

Wilkinson Quarry Cave Objection 

BUILT HERITAGE: Southlands

BUILT HERITAGE | May 8, 2020

By Linda Abend, Bermuda National Trust

In conjunction with the National Museum of Bermuda, the Trust is going to run a series of short articles about the buildings that we consider most at risk in Bermuda and the most worth saving. 

Anna, the wife of Montreal merchant James Morgan, bought 31½ acres and an old Bermuda house from the heirs of Thomas Dunscomb in 1913. The core of the house can be traced with certainty to 1820 but is thought to date as far back as 1745. The property was already known as Southlands and it became James Morgan’s retirement project. Using stone cut from his quarries, he almost immediately began to extend the house. With the help of Bermudian architect Edward Tucker, the integrity of the original U-shaped house with its three uniquely-positioned butteries was not compromised. The quarries were turned into individually themed gardens with a variety of exotic imported plants. The Egyptian quarry for instance contained a pool of water lilies fringed by papyrus. Morgan purchased several nearby properties, eventually owning over 80 acres.

A philanthropist in Canada, James Morgan was generous in Bermuda. In 1920 he gave money to his neighbourhood school, Warwick Academy, which allowed them to complete the wings and build the assembly hall. He was a member of the Warwick Parish Development Committee set up in 1917 to tackle the deficiency in the food supply by encouraging home gardening and the cultivation of all available land. The Morgans held fundraisers at Southlands to help with the cost of equipment needed for the newly opened King Edward VII Memorial Hospital.

Click here to read the full article

To learn more about the history of Southlands see our newest book from out Architectural Heritage Series: Warwick, available for purchase.

BUILT HERITAGE: Independent Order of Odd Fellows’ Loyal Irresistible Lodge

BUILT HERITAGE | MARCH 19, 2020

By Linda Abend and Margie Lloyd, Bermuda National Trust

In conjunction with the National Museum of Bermuda, the Trust is going to run a series of short articles about the buildings that we consider most at risk in Bermuda and the most worth saving. This is the first article.

Located on the corner of Cambridge and Somerset roads is the Independent Order of Odd Fellows’ Loyal Irresistible Lodge No. 6587. Named after HMS Irresistible then stationed in Bermuda, it is without a doubt the most elaborate of all the lodge buildings.

Designed by John W Greig as a two-storey building, 56’ x 29’ x 14’ on each floor with a side tower, the cornerstone was laid in April 1901. From start to finish the work was done on a voluntary basis by the Brethren of the Lodge and when completed was debt-free. The grand new hall was dedicated with much pomp and circumstance on May 30, 1902. Participating in the celebration were members of the other Friendly Societies who arrived from Hamilton and St George’s on the steamer Corona. The newspaper remarked that “the most important feature of the parade was the presence of the Juvenile Branches... It is to them the Odd Fellows must look to build up their Lodges in the future”.

Click Here to Read More

New Nature Reserve, Eve's Pond

PRESS RELEASE: Joint Statement: Buy Back Bermuda, The Bermuda National Trust and the Bermuda Audubon Society: Breaks ground for new nature reserve

March, 9th 2020 - A new nature reserve in Hamilton Parish will be open to the public this suBmmer. Ground was broken on Friday for the restoration of Eve’s Pond, a project by Buy Back Bermuda, the joint initiative of Bermuda National Trust and Bermuda Audubon Society. In 1941 Eve’s Pond was filled in with sand dredged from Flatts Inlet. Funds raised from the community enabled Buy Back to acquire the 3.5-acre property in 2012, and prepare for its restoration as a sanctuary for wildlife and public enjoyment. Stay tuned for updates on this important conservation project.

Eve's Pond Press Release

TOP