Karen Border Appointed BNT Executive Director

We are excited to announce that Karen Border will take up the position of Executive Director of the Bermuda National Trust (BNT) on 28 June. Karen is a respected environmentalist and communications professional. In fact, she has spent her adult life contributing to the conservation of Bermuda’s unique environment and natural heritage.  

She is looking forward to joining the Trust team in her new capacity and says: "I am delighted and honoured to have been appointed Executive Director of an organisation so close to my heart. The National Trust plays such an important role in Bermuda, in far more ways than many people realise – from its preservation of open spaces, historic buildings and artefacts, to its inspirational education programme and activities that celebrate the Island's heritage. The importance of each of these aspects of the Trust's mission has been thrown into sharp relief by the Covid-19 pandemic, which has forced all of us to focus on our own 22 square miles and what it has to offer. I look forward to leading the Trust team in continuing the organisation's valuable work and finding new and exciting ways in which to engage the whole Bermuda community."

 

Click here to read the full Press Release

Built Heritage: Somers Pride of India

BUILT HERITAGE: April 2021 By Linda Abend and Margie Lloyd, Bermuda National Trust

This post is part of a series of architectural articles by the Bermuda National Trust that highlight some of Bermuda's endangered historic buildings. 

Somers Pride of India Lodge No. 899 in St George’s was the first of the lodges established by the Grand United Order of Odd Fellows when it was founded on 10 May 1848 with schoolmaster John Gilbert Allen as secretary and later Grand Master. Alexandrina Lodge No. 1026 in Hamilton and Victoria and Albert No. 1027 in Somerset followed. By 1860 the three lodges had over 200 members.

In April 1850 the trustees of Somers Pride of India Lodge, all of whom were residents of St George’s, purchased land on Cut Road from mason Peter Tucker. It wasn’t until 14 January 1862 that, with much pomp and ceremony, the cornerstone was laid for their first hall. A gale in October 1870 blew down the upper walls of both sides of their not-yet-completed hall but did not discourage them. The Odd Fellows celebrated their 25th anniversary in May 1873 with a service and procession to their new building where the foreman of the Building Committee, John Cornelius Bascome, gave the welcoming address.

The rapidly growing membership saw the need for a larger building and in 1903 a more prominent parcel of land was purchased. The Somers Pride of India Lodge Trustees Act 1909 allowed the trustees to sell their building on Cut Road and on 13 November 1913 at what was described as “one of the greatest ceremonies of its kind” the cornerstone was laid for their new lodge building on York Street and St George’s Avenue (now Wellington Street and Rose Hill). Work parties were held with bus loads of members from sister lodges across the Island arriving to help with the construction.

Click here to read the full Built Heritage article on Somers Pride of India Lodge

BNT Temporary Closure

Dear members, friends, volunteers and supporters,

 
With the safety and health of the community in mind, due to the new Covid-19 government regulations, the Bermuda National Trust offices and museums will be closed until further notice. We have followed government guidelines and have cancelled our spring camps and decided to cancel all of our weekend walking tours in St. George’s during April.
 
As always, we thank you for your support which helps us continue the important work we do in our community. Please visit our website and social media for any updates and contact us with any questions or concerns via email at palmetto@bnt.bm
 
We look forward to seeing all of you soon!

Built Heritage: Skittle Alley, Dockyard

BUILT HERITAGE: March 2021 By Linda Abend and Margie Lloyd, Bermuda National Trust

This post is part of a series of architectural articles by the Bermuda National Trust that highlight some of Bermuda's endangered historic buildings. 

 

Skittle Alley is a Grade 2 Listed Building yet very few of us know of its existence. It is located on a small island and is connected to the mainland by a footbridge leading from the former residence of the Captain-in-Charge, the most senior officer at the Dockyard. The captain’s residence, known as The Cottage, was built in 1827 for the Naval Storekeeper who in 1837 became the Dockyard Superintendent. When Joseph Balingall retired in 1857 this post was abolished and Captain Frederick Hutton became the first Captain-in-Charge of HM Dockyard.

 

Skittle Alley was built as the bowling alley for Captain John Moresby RN who arrived in April 1878. It was during Moresby’s tenure that the Sailors’ Home, now demolished, was built. It too would boast of a bowling alley. Although Captain Moresby spent only three years in Bermuda, that he was highly respected is clear from the fact that his name survives to this day with Moresby House, built in 1899 for the Officer-in-Charge of Works, and Moresby Plain, the naval recreation and parade ground, today used by the public for large events.

 

Click here to read the newest Built Heritage Article on Skittle Alley!

Capital Improvements at Verdmont Museum

We are excited to announce that our capital project of improvements at Verdmont Museum has officially begun.  

Click here to read the full Press Release

 

Built Heritage: Former Hospital Cottage

BUILT HERITAGE: March 2021 By Linda Abend and Margie Lloyd, Bermuda National Trust

This post is part of a series of architectural articles by the Bermuda National Trust that highlight some of Bermuda's endangered historic buildings. 

 

Citing the steady increase in the population, the lack of accommodation for those with complicated diseases and needing surgical operations, Dr Eldon Harvey spearheaded a group of his fellow physicians and community leaders and in 1886 lobbied the Governor, Lt Gen Sir Thomas Lionel Gallwey, for a cottage hospital. At the time there only existed two Royal Navy hospitals and the so-called Lunatic Asylum in Devonshire.

 

Click here to read the full article!

FOR RENT: 1.46 acres of arable land, Devonshire, Lot J3 Jubilee Road

The Bermuda National Trust is offering a rare opportunity to lease 1.46 acres of arable land in Devonshire. This land is suitable for grazing cattle and horses.
 
Before submitting a bid, please visit the site. Please drop off completed bid forms to our offices at ‘Waterville’, 2 Pomander Road, Paget, or email them to Myles Darrell at myles@bnt.bm by February, 19th, 2021.
 

Built Heritage: Wantley

BUILT HERITAGE: December 7, 2020 By Linda Abend and Margie Lloyd, Bermuda National Trust

This post is part of a series of architectural articles by the Bermuda National Trust that highlight some of Bermuda's endangered historic buildings. 

Wantley, located on Princess Street, has a rich social history and was built by prominent businessman Samuel David Robinson.  One of the founders of Berkeley Educational Society, Samuel David and five other men met in 1879 at his newly-built home to discuss the feasibility of establishing a school that would become the Berkeley Institute.  The Robinsons were influential family in the then Town of Hamilton.  Younger brother Joseph Henry Robinson built The Emporium on Front Street and lived at the elegant Finsbury on Court Street.

Click here to read the full article on Wantley 

BNT 2021 Calendars

BNT 2021 calendars are available for purchase! This calendar is filled with images of some of the most beautiful aspects of Bermuda.  Each month provides a glimpse of the diverse treasures that fills this 22 square mile paradise.  Photographed and designed by Bermuda photographers Hannah Horsfield.

Calendars cost $10 and can be purchased at Waterville, BNT Museums, Brown & Co, Bermuda Bookstore and more locations.  To purchase a calendar over the phone please call 236-6483 or email palmetto@bnt.bm.  Envelopes are available for mailing overseas.
 
Unfortunately, we have discovered that the alignment of dates for the month of July 2021 are incorrect. The corrected version for the month of July is included below and can be printed to easily replace the page you currently have.
 
If you would like to exchange your calendar, we will have limited quantities available at Waterville after Monday, January 4, 2021.  We do apologize for this oversight and any inconvenience this may have caused. Please do not hesitate to contact us at palmetto@bnt.bm if you have any questions.
 

Click here to download the updated version of July

 

 

2020 Raffle Winners

TOP